New Rocky Mountain Voices 2013 - WCPA Call for Entries!The Westcliffe Center for the Performing Arts announces New Rocky Mountain Voices 2013, the organization’s fifteenth annual play competition. New Rocky Mountain Voices is a program dedicated to showcasing new works by playwrights in the Rocky Mountain States and is sponsored by the non-profit Westcliffe Center for the Performing Arts in Westcliffe, Colorado.
For additional information about this important program, including submission guidelines, please read Announcement and Guidelines, which is in PDF format. Adobe Reader is required to read PDF files. You can download it here.
Call for 2013 Summer Internships for College Students
WCPA regularly provides summer internships for qualified drama students at the Jones Theater in Westcliffe, Colorado, a small picturesque town at the foot of the Sangre de Christo Mountains. Many former interns have said it was the best summer experience they have ever had in learning about the theater.
Interns participate in every facet of theater work. They perform roles in at least one main stage production, e.g., “Two Gentlemen of Verona” and/or “Tartuffe,” by William Shakespeare. They are involved in acting or in technical aspects such as lighting, set design, set building and set decoration. One student may also be involved in co-directing our Youth Theater musical production in late August, if his or her college schedule and background permit.
Interns also work with local children in the two-week, WCPA nonresidential summer Creativity Camp, now in its seventeenth year. The Creativity Camps consist of theater training in improvisation, theater games, story telling, makeup and costume. At the end of a session the children present original skits they have developed with the help of the interns. This year, Creativity Camp is from July 8 through July 19, for local children 6-16. It is. Camps take place from 10a.m. to 1p.m. each day in the great room of Studio 2, adjacent to the Jones Theater.
WCPA internships run ten weeks from May 15 through July 19, and one can continue through August, depending upon student availability and interest. Internships are limited to four students. The theater provides excellent housing in its new building, Studio 2. which has a modern, furnished, four-bedroom student apartment. We also pay a weekly living allowance. We do not reimburse travel expenses.
Questions about applications for these internships should be made to Anne Kimbell Relph, Executive Director WCPA/Jones Theater at email@example.com, or by mail to Box 9018, Laguna Beach, CA 92652. Applicants should send a photo and audition DVD or video along with a resume with relevant theater experience and availability. Faculty recommendations are appreciated. Applications must reach us before April 1, 2013.
- The Westcliffe Center for the Performing Arts was created in 1992 as a not-for-profit corporation to maintain the Historic Jones Theater both as a movie and theater house for the Westcliffe, Colorado Community.
- Thanks to generous foundation grants and the efforts of many volunteers the theater has been restored and refurbished to its original 30's glamour.
- A major addition, "Studio 2" was made in 2003.
- Studio 2 provides sets and costumes, a Youth Theater for rehearsals and exhibits, a home for KWMV radio and living quarters for summer interns.
- The first outdoor production was presented in 2007 using an outdoor stage and park-like seating area next to the theater on 2nd Street in Westcliffe.
- We present 8 live theater productions each summer as well as a full season of first-run movies in our theater which has 148 seats.
- The local high school drama club presents several productions during the year.
- The Theater is also used for many concerts ranging from jazz to bluegrass to opera throughout the year.
- We were honored to receive the El Pomar award for Excellence in Arts and Humanities in 2004 and have continued to expand our artistic horizons. Our new “Shakespeare in the Sangres” initiative for 2008 is an example of our cultural outreach, expansion and service to this rural community.